Get a behind-the-scenes tour of the Arboretum at Penn State that will include instruction from multiple experts as detailed in the agenda below. Participants will get a chance to explore and learn about the Childhood’s Gate Children’s Garden, the old-growth forest of Hartley Woods, and the 12 acre Prairie Restoration Site. Extra time will be spent in the newly opened Pollinator and Bird Garden, a 3-acre garden designed to attract the many insect pollinator species and both resident and migratory birds in the region by incorporating extensive beds of pollinator and bird friendly plants, water features, beehives, agricultural beds, and an orchard.
The Arboretum is open and free to visit anytime but this unique tour is being offered specifically to CCLC! The Arboretum staff is excited to have a professional group visit and learn about the various gardens and natural areas.
Tour will include:
- Intro to the Arboretum from Director, Casey Sclar
- Discussion of the role of philanthropy in creating the gardens with Director of Development, Patrick Williams
- Review of the Pollinator and Bird Garden’s inspiration and goals with Dr. Harland Patch, Center for Pollinator Research
- Tour of the practical considerations of Pollinator and Bird Garden maintenance with Horticulturalist, Rychele Stipcak
- Tour of the natural areas, discussion of fire ecology/wild areas/invasive species management (presenter TBD)
- Tour of the children’s garden and its design principles with Child Education Coordinator, Jenn Hooven
- Plenty of time for Q & A